Other Savings from Single Payer

We Americans are the only people in the world for whom health care is not considered a basic human right. Shouldn't something be done about it?

Other Savings from Single Payer

Postby Carol Johnson Duharat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:47 am

http://www.bareknuckles.org/bkp/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=741#p6601

1) Consolidation. Since every health insurance has its own pool of doctors, and rarely the twain really meet, there's a lot of duplication of services, of equipment. Single payer would allow efficient use of these resources. For example, every hospital has to have a CT scan, every medical specialty, a lab that does everything. Since people would be free to go anywhere, perhaps some of these could become centered around a particular hospital. Indeed, we could have specialty hospitals that treat certain kinds of conditions. We could have a Cancer hospital, a psychology/psychiatric hospital, a hospital that only treats the geriatric. Perhaps a heart hospital, a rare diseases hospital, and so forth.

2) Innovative use of nurses, medical students, physician assistants and so forth. Once the insurance lobby no longer is able to veto such things, we could have more extensive home care and home visits, more school and work nurses, mobile medical clinics, with patients referred to the Doctor for diagnosis if symptoms or test results warrant.

3)As a visitor to the Emergency Room for more visits than I like, I have sat next to people who are there only because they can't get a provider during the day or a provider at all. Indeed, I've been in that situation. Single payer would allow these people to go to an Evening Clinic like the one I used to go to until the Economy closed it. It closed because it couldn't get enough in operating costs to keep open. Under single payer, tax revenues would have kept it open as a City Clinic that was open at night. Emergency Room resources and their accompanying costs would be reduced and saved for true emergencies-which will be seen quicker without these patients.

4) Fewer staff at the Doctor's offices. Doctors must hire people to process an endless stream of Insurance forms. Take that out of the equation, and doctors could pool secretaries, medical transcriptionists and other clerical staff. Indeed, in some cases, your paperwork could be done beforehand, and all you do is greet the receptionist and wait until you are called.
The Nation has decided to commit the Audacity of Hope
Carol Johnson Duharat
alderman
alderman

Return to Health Care